“He who would travel happily must travel light.” -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, French poet and aviator
So, you’re going on a trip? Regardless of if the trip is an early morning drive or late-night arrival, no adventure is complete without your favorite coffee. For this reason, we wanted to provide some tips for packing light while keeping the full flavor of life.
PACKING YOUR BREWING KIT
With so many brewing devices on the market. If your travels have you staying in a hotel or Airbnb, you will have different needs than if you are camping.
First, ask yourself some questions:
- Will you have access to electrical outlets for a small water kettle heater? Will you be able to heat up water at a campsite?
- Do you plan on taking a small grinder or pre-ground coffee on your trip?
- Do you prefer an espresso-like shot of coffee or do you need to brew for multiple cups?
- Do you prefer brewing with or without a paper filter?
You will want to assure your equipment arrives at your destination in one piece. If you are flying, you’ll need something a bit sturdier than if you are driving to your destination.
Now is not the time to get bogged down by heavy and fragile equipment.
Manual brewers, like the AeroPress are small and packable which make them a backpacker’s favorite. If you use a French press, you do not have to worry about bringing paper filters and you can brew enough coffee to share.
Give some thought on if you want to take a coffee grinder with you or if you prefer the convenience of pre ground coffee.
Err on the side of caution. Select coffee gear that will stand up to the rigors of life on the road. Stainless steel can get dinged, but you should still be able to brew your coffee just fine.
TRAVEL FRIENDLY GEAR INCLUDE:
- Small, compact, and easy to stash in a day pack or luggage
- It’s easy to clean and you have the flexibility of brewing a single espresso-like shot or add hot water to craft an Americano-style coffee.
Stainless Steel French Press
- The Planetary Design French press allows you to brew your coffee and drink out of the French press because of their bru-stop. This press features a plate that separates the coffee from the coffee grounds.
- The double wall stainless steel is durable and will keep your coffee hot. There is even a model that you brew your coffee and can drink from the press, too!
Hario Skerton Plus
- This grinder is perfect for small luggage and does not require electricity. This is a great option for those who want to continue grinding their coffee beans before brewing.
- The grinder base doubles as a storage container for ground coffee.
- Available in a variety of sizes and materials. A great option for those who do not have access to a stove or campfire.
Now that you have your coffee kit assembled, it is time to test it out on your first trip.
Remember, adventure is the flavor of life. As your trip needs evolve, we are here to help enhance the flavor of your adventure!